Things I did this weekend:
- Picked up some parts from the Honda dealer, got some much-needed tools to add to my collection, and replaced a plastic cap on my engine valve casing that’s been leaking oil for the past 2 years. It was an easy repair, but had a high risk of going bad (which is why I waited this long). Thankfully, the old plug came out fine and I didn’t have to remove the valve cover. Hopefully no more smell of oil baking on the engine block.
- Topped off the radiator with antifreeze to bring the concentration up for winter; the hydrometer showed it was a little weak.
- Wiped down part of the engine and cleaned up the battery contacts (since I had to disconnect the battery for the repair), finally putting the stock plastic cover back on the positive terminal to prevent accidental shorting.
- After several months, I finally took four fat trash bags of shredded bills and some jars of used cooking oil down to Ecology Action for recycling.
- Got a ton of quality hanging-out time with friends from several different circles at the cafe.
- Met with the director of the short film I’m doing sound work on and got some very useful feedback.
- Slept an average of 7 1/2 peaceful hours a night.
- Updated all of my timepieces to Standard Time.
- Got a pleasant surprise when I drove past the Crossfit gym near my house this morning and caught a glimpse of a woman with a well-toned backside in a lime-green string bikini and high heels posing in the garage door for a photo shoot (they were perfect hemispheres, I swear). Put a smile on my face.
- Had some wonderful spicy chopped beef at Ruby’s BBQ on 29th and Guadalupe.
- Located a decent Chinese carry-out restaurant to feed my cravings for sweet-n-sour chicken (these places are becoming rare now that they’re all changing into pan-asian or fusion cuisine places).
- Made breakfast both Saturday and Sunday of ham, eggs, and pancakes.
- Took a nice walk down the street to a cafe I seldom visit and, thanks to unreliable WiFi (must’ve been an atypical night), managed a good work session on my sound project.
- Chewed through about 8 episodes of “Farscape”, season 3 – kinda dawdling on the storywriting during this stretch, but still fun to watch.
Things I didn’t do this weekend:
- Go to a party.
- Get laid.
OMG! This weekend is a failure! Why do I even try!? I QUIT!
Just kidding. This weekend has been inordinately kind to me, and I’m grateful to have some of my projects and obligations moved along to completion. It’s nice that I’m not allowed to do any overtime at my job; it prevents me from logging in on the weekend to check on the progress of the test machines (hey, it might be important, but I ain’t workin’ for free). I get my life back.
I have plenty of things I still want or need to do, but to have a chunk of them cleared out of the way in two days is a weight off my aching shoulders. I would wish for continued momentum, but life’s not all about that. It’s about irregular cycles; feast and famine, labor and leisure, give and get. This is my season for motion. Tomorrow? Who knows?